How does cellulite form?
Cellulite is women’s no 1 enemy. It is almost non-existent in men and appears on very specific areas of the female body:
It is a cluster of fat cells under the dermis (hypodermis) which gives the skin an orange-peel appearance. Cellulite is mainly caused by too much fatty food, which encourages fat to be stored in the adipocytes (fat cells). Water retention also makes fat cells swell and causes the orange-peel appearance. Adipocytes can swell to up to 50 times their size. Furthermore, cellulite leads to poor blood and lymphatic circulation, preventing water and toxins from being eliminated effectively, and boosts cellulite: it is a really vicious circle.
There are other factors that help cellulite to form:
- Lack of physical exercise
- Hormonal imbalances: the ovaries are one of the main causes of cellulite. When they supply high quantities of estrogen, enzymes are released, encouraging fat storage and salt and water retention.
- Contraceptive pill
- Pregnancy and during breastfeeding
- Venous insufficiency
Genetics have a significant impact on cellulite: in fact, there is a high chance of developing cellulite if family members have it. Cellulite does not mean that someone is overweight. A slim woman can have cellulite, while an overweight woman may not necessarily have any.
There are three types of cellulite:
- Adipose cellulite: this type of cellulite is not visible when standing or lying down. It is soft and the skin needs to be pinched to see it. It is mainly caused by poor diet.
- Fibrous cellulite: this type of cellulite is visible when standing but the skin is smooth when lying down. It is deep cellulite, which has been established for a long time, is painful and hard to touch. It is very common on the thighs.
- Edematous cellulite: this type of cellulite is mainly caused by water retention, and makes the skin swell and results in poor blood circulation.
How do you destroy cellulite?
Cellulite is definitely women’s most challenging issue. It is almost impossible to make cellulite disappear without an aesthetic medicine procedure. Here is a list of the treatments that we offer:
- Cryolipolysis: This treatment freezes localized fat cells in one to two sessions. The treatment also works on skin quality and reduces the amount of cellulite.
- Ultraformer: This latest-generation machine uses focused ultrasound to firm and smooth the skin. The treatment is carried out in a few sessions depending on individual needs and gives good results on cellulite.
- EMSculpt: This treatment produces high-intensity electromagnetic waves to make the muscles on the buttocks and stomach contract. This helps it to target cellulite on the buttocks, in particular. One EMSculpt session is equivalent to 20,000 squats.