Drooping eyelids: weigh the eyes down
Eyes are one of the most important facial features. They reflect a person’s soul and personality and play a very important role in seduction, which is why it is important to maintain their appearance. Beautiful eyes look youthful, are free of wrinkles and, above all, full of vitality. Thus, drooping upper eyelids affect the tone and beauty of the eye area.
Over time, the effects of gravity and the natural sagging due to skin aging tend to affect certain areas of the face such as the eyelids. In addition, the sagging of the tail of the eyebrows accentuates the drooping of the eyelids.
Droopy eyelids clearly make the eyes look sad, tired and old, and make the person appear to be crying. They can be a problem for stylish women and businessmen alike, who take care of their image.
Why do the upper eyelids droop?
Droopy eyelids are mainly due to sagging skin. Sagging skin is a natural phenomenon that occurs as the skin ages.
Nourishing cells, responsible for good skin quality, become increasingly rare:
- collagen: the main protein responsible for the skin’s youthful appearance
- sebum: an oily secretion that nourishes and moisturizes the skin
- hyaluronic acid: acid produced by the body that hydrates and preserves the skin
- elastin fibers: fibers responsible for the skin’s elasticity and firmness
As a result, the skin loses its youthfulness, tone and elasticity. It becomes increasingly less firm.
External and natural factors that attack the skin at the deepest level of the dermis also aggravate sagging skin:
- The effects of gravity worsen sagging skin
- The sun because of the UV rays that destroy the cells responsible for keeping the skin firm
- Smoking damages the skin
- Pollution damages the skin
- Menopause because a drop in hormones has harmful effects on the skin
- An unhealthy lifestyle makes the skin look tired (e.g., makeup)
What solutions are available for drooping eyelids?
There are various medical treatments that can considerably rejuvenate the eyes and combat sagging eyelids.
The treatments listed below can be performed in combination:
- Thermage: using radiofrequency, thermage is a radical treatment that requires one single session. By treating the eyelid area, radiofrequency stimulates collagen production and tightens the skin. The eyelids are immediately tightened.
- Botox: by injecting botulinum toxin between the upper eyelids and the tail of the eyebrows, botox freezes the muscle and raises the eyebrows. The eyes are awakened and the appearance of drooping eyelids is reduced.
- Regenerating lifting threads: thanks to their mini bidirectional cones, the threads cling to the subcutaneous tissues and allow the skin to be tightened in no time. The eyelids are tightened and corrected.
- Eye rejuvenation protocol: this protocol comprises various effective and complementary treatments which help to treat drooping eyelids and other concerns. In fact botox injections are recommended to lift the tail of the eyebrows and erase crow’s feet, hyaluronic acid injections to fill in dark circles under the eyes and hollowed areas, and reshape the cheekbones.
These types of treatment are particularly effective on eyelids that are slightly droopy. For very droopy eyelids with excess skin that can even impair vision in some people, only a surgical procedure called blepharoplasty can remedy this.